Google Reader or Homepage Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe with Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online Add to My AOL Add to Technorati Favorites!

Gardening and Landscaping by PRWeb

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Flowers and Fashion

Okay, I admit it. When I first started working in a nursery I was a neophyte. I knew next to nothing about flowers. My boss told me that pointsettias don't really flower but the leaves change color. I thought he was just teasing me! I had spent months anxiously awaiting flower buds. Well, live and learn.
However, lately I have noticed that the flower industry is a lot like the fashion industry. There is always a new it plant that everyone and their neighbor has either seen on TV or in a magazine and just must have for their own garden. Often times regardless to how acceptable their garden environment is to said plant.

My choice it plant this year is Tacoma Stans (a.k.a. Yellow Bells). Tacoma Stans a.k.a. Yellow BellsThis plant is durable, forgiving and hardy. Yellow bells is fairly wind resistant and doesn't mind poor sandy soil. It is drought tolerant and can survive our brutal summer months. It also has the cutest cheerful yellow flowers all along the stalks. These flowers smell just like cotton candy. (No, really they do!) The plant can grow several feet tall but will also drape down beautifully in a hanging basket. All in all, Yellow Bells is one of the best new plants I have tried this year and I have thoroughly enjoyed them in my garden this summer.